Wednesday, November 26, 2008

HOW TO OVERCOME SHYNESS.

OVERCOMING SHYNESS.

As a teenager I was a shy person to begin with but after graduation and a few jobs later, I overcame the barrier which somehow used to hold me back, even when I was sure of doing or explaining deeds, much better than those presenters and successful orators. After much thought and in the absence of those so called established players, I was in the beginning forced to do the public relation exercise out of sheer need .Especially to get things done I started to interact and became active.

Surprisingly, I found it to be the most natural and easier acts, once I came out of the shell of shyness which was holding me back, till such time when I was compelled to act as host. I realized being shy at times can be a crime, when you are seen not welcoming or addressing people who come to you for solving issues or at times of meetings and discussions for improvement of business or profits. We have to take the initiative so as to make others feel relaxed while dealing with you.

Once I was convinced that was the right way of approach, I began to take responsibilities so as to get things done, be it in my job or family functions. That was the time when I started to realize the mantra of success which was in fact all about being able to control the situations bad worse or good with equal poise; straightforward, open, genuine and most importantly decent. They say ‘a man who does not respect women is not a man’. Incidentally I was a roaring success with women folks, senior citizen and children who expects and understands easily any kind of expressions of words, actions and decent mannerisms. At times especially, since last few years this has led to at least some of my colleagues who were of the opinion that I am a womanizer; the truth can not be any further than such harsh and hasty judgments without reasoning. My near and dear who knows me well understands better and has always appreciated me for being a wonderful person who is truthful and equally decent towards both sexes irrespective of their age looks or social status or richness.

Especially, in recent times during my niece’s wedding reception, being her uncle and in the absence of my father I was compelled to welcome all those who came for the wedding and gave attention to all those who attended our function in response to our invitation. There were some distracters who passed comments, seeing me welcoming lady guests with equal warmness and also towards all those who attended. I felt it was my duty to be warm and responsible while others might have thought perhaps I over did few occasions. My sister and brother in law thanked me for all my good intended and well mannered approach ,while some of relatives who has known me from childhood, was surprised to see such change in a ‘shy boy’, who had become matured and perhaps more talkative.

My belief is that it shows the warmness and closeness, when we address people by their names and genuinely inquires about their well being.

Compiled by, M.Balakrishnan,16a ,Meena Estate, 3rd layout,Coimbatore -641028

No comments: